The purpose of this alert is not to frighten residents but to raise awareness and ask you all to be vigilant.
Recently, there was a burglary in The Curve PO13 area of Gosport.
There are certain measures you can take to reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim yourself, such as:
• Don’t leave your house unattended with windows open and unlocked – even for just a minute.
• Don’t leave valuables on show through unscreened windows,
• If you are going away, ask a neighbour or friend to check your house regularly, pulling curtains when your timer switches are due to come on..
• Buy timer switches for lamps and radios to give the impression that someone is home.
• Install an alarm system and ensure the alarm box is clearly visible.
• Don’t leave keys in doors – remove them and keep them close at hand but out of sight where you can easily find them in an emergency.
• If you are in the garden or upstairs, make sure your downstairs doors and windows are closed.
• Never leave a key under a doormat or on a string through the letterbox.
• Always put your car keys in a drawer out of site.